Area: Jekyll Island is approximately 7 1/2 miles long and 1 1/2 miles across. It us approximately halfway between Jacksonville and Savannah. Development: Under state law, only 35 percent of Jekyll can be developed. The remainder must stay in its wild or primitive stage. Governing body: The Jekyll Island Authority, a nine-member state agency, governs the island. It appoints an executive director to oversee ongoing operations. Police and fire: The Georgia State Patrol provides police protection. Jekyll Island has its own fire department with a full-time staff plus an active volunteer auxiliary. Utilities: Georgia Power provides electrical service. AT&T is the telephone service provider. Cable television service comes through Comcast. The Jekyll Island Authority provides water and sewer service and trash pick-up, including yard waste. Sports and recreation: Three 18-hole and one 9-home golf courses are operated by the Jekyll Island Authority, as is the clay-surface tennis facility. The Authority also operates Summer Waves, a a water park open in the summer months. A fishing pier is located at the north end of the island. There is a modern playground and miniature golf course, plus more than 20 miles of bicycle paths, with many rental bikes available at several outlets. Boat rental is available at the Marina. A 200-site campground is operated by the Authority. Horseback riding is available in the Clam Creek area on the north end. History: The first residents of Jekyll Island were the Guale and Timuncuan Indians. The Spanish may have had a mission here in the 1500-1600s. The English established the first outpost here in 1734, with the granting of the land to Maj. William Horton. A string of owners of the island followed, most notably the DuBignon family from 1800-1886. The Jekyll Island Club, comprised of some of the nation’s wealthiest individuals, owned the island from 1886-1947, using it as a winter retreat. The state of Georgia bought the island in 1947 for $675,000. Historic District: A 240-acre tract on the river side has been designated a National Historic Landmark. Cottages and other buildings from the Jekyll Island Club era are maintained there. Ten historic cottages, plus the old Club House (now the Jekyll Island Club Hotel), the wharf and several other buildings, are in this district.